Mission Statement

Mission Statement

Thursday, October 13, 2011

We Are Treasures of God



Do you remember being a child and having favorite toy as a friend?  All the love you shared and how much you cherished it?  How about a special pet?  Or an irreplaceable friend?  A family member, your spouse, your child... all of these are treasures in our hearts.  Treasures we would defend and love like they were a part of us.  Here are two passages about God describing his people as his treasures.
1.  Deuteronomy 26:18-19  "The LORD has declared this day that you are his people, his treasured possession as he promised, and that you are to keep all his commands. 19 He has
declared that he will set you in praise, fame and honor high above all the nations he has made and that you will be a people holy to the LORD your God, as he promised."
In Context: Moses' sermon is renewing the Israelites' promise to obey God, and God's promise to treasure the Israelites as his people.  The covenant was first made about ten years prior when the Israelites were rescued from slavery in Egypt.  (Exodus 19:5Deuteronomy 7:6Deuteronomy 14:2)

Contemporary Connection: Do I remember the day I committed myself to God's commands?  Do I remember the things he promised me?  Do I acknowledge the fact that I am God's treasured possession?  Do I say thank you for all the ways he treasures me?  Do I have faith in his promises about my future?
2. Zechariah 9:16 "The LORD their God will save his people on that day as a shepherd saves his flock. They will sparkle in his land like jewels in a crown."
 In Context: God is prophesying through Zechariah that the Jews will be attacked by Greece, but they will miraculously defeat them.  And they will prosper and shine like crowned jewels.  This did happen, and is celebrated in the present-day holiday Hanukkah.

Contemporary Connection: It's inevitable that there are dangerous things and people in life that can harm us.  Do I believe that God is strong enough to protect me from being overcome?  Do I believe that he values me like the most beautiful part of his royal attire?  That he wants to be the one to lead me, and save me, and present me as a sparkling jewel...?

I hope this helps you in your understanding that God wants you to be his Treasure. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis